1998 - GH Productions inc.
Please print this FREE pattern sheet and share with your friends.
Imagine this easy-to-make basket sitting in your kitchen or hanging near your phone. It's great for holding pencils, candy canes and all sorts of things. You could even place a small jar with ivy or a potted plant inside the basket, plus it makes a great gift.
Candy Cane Basket Size: 4" x 8.5"
Calculate Supplies for 1 to 20 Candy Cane baskets with the Basket Supply Calculator. The Supply List gives you the least expensive way to purchase the supplies for your quantity of baskets. View on-line or print to your printer.
|Description||Item||Add to Cart|
|10 ft. - #1 Round Reed - Twining base||Item 2010F||Add|
|14 ft. - 3/8" Flat Reed - Base and Uprights||Item 1038F||Add|
|23 ft. - 1/4" Flat Reed Natural - Weavers||Item 1014F||Add|
|3 ft. - 3/8" Flat Oval - Rims||Item 3338F||Add|
|3 ft. - 1/4" Flat Reed Forest Green (dyed) - Weavers||Item FG14F||Add|
|2 ft. - 1/4" Flat Reed Burgundy (dyed) - Weavers||Item BU14F||Add|
|1 ea. - Medium Star Wire Hanger||Item 2432E||Add|
Hints in working with Reed:
Begin the Basket
1. Cut 8 spokes 16" long from 3/8" Flat Reed.
2. Mark the center of each spoke on the rough side of the reed with a pencil. Soak 2 pieces of #1 Round Reed (each piece 3 ft. long) and the 8 spokes.
2a. Criss-cross the spokes at their centers (rough side up), following the numbered sequence below:
3. Begin the #1 Round weaver on top of the 8th spoke and weave around one complete time. Do not force the weaver too closely toward the center—allow it to weave and lay in a smooth circle.
After completing one round of weaving, place the second #1 Round weaver on top of the 1st spoke and weave 1 row with the second weaver.
Alternate rows, weaving with the first weaver, then with the second weaver, until you have completed 3 rows with each weaver.
Cut the weavers to lay on the inside of the basket (on the same spokes where you began). The base will measure about 3.5" to 4" in diameter.
4. Soak the base. Upset your basket by creasing each spoke upward at a right angle at the edge of the base.
5. On the sides of your basket, each row is woven with a separate piece of reed. Soak the reed before weaving. Begin each weaver (smooth side out) on the outside of a spoke, weave around your basket and overlap the end of that weaver on 4 spokes.
NOTE: Keep your spokes vertical or flaring out just slightly. Maintain an even space between spokes as you weave, and make sure that the edges of the weavers touch each other.
|Weave the rows as follows:|
|Row 1||3/8" Flat Reed|
|Rows 2 - 13||1/4" Flat (Natural)|
|Row 14||1/4" Flat (Green)|
|Row 15||1/4" Flat (Burgundy)|
|Row 16||1/4" Flat (Green)|
|Rows 17 - 20||1/4" Flat (Natural)|
6. Now, using a desktop stapler, staple the top row to every other spoke and cut the extending spokes flush with the top row.
7. Bend the horizontal part of your Star Wire Hanger to match the curve of your basket. Place your Star on top of your basket and tuck the ends behind some weavers on the outside of your basket.
8. Cut your inside and outside rims from 3/8" Flat Oval Reed. The length of your outside rim will be the distance around the top of your basket plus about 2" for the overlap. The inside rim will be a bit shorter. Carve away some of the thickness where the rims overlap to form a less bulky overlap.
Cut several pieces of #1 Round Reed for your rim filler. Soak your rims and rim filler; attach these with twist ties or clothespins around the top row of your basket . (Place the flat side of the each rim toward the basket.) Place the inside rim overlap at the front of the basket, and place the outside rim overlap at the back. Position the pieces of #1 Round Reed between the two rims, allowing the filler pieces to stop and start in several locations.
9. To begin your lashing, secure a wet piece of 1/4" Flat Reed between two spokes, under the inside rim, under the fillers and under the outside rim. Turn the lashing so that its smooth side will be out as you lash over the rims.
Working left to right from the outside of your basket, lash over the rims and between each of the spokes. Pull the lashing tight with each stitch. Remove the pins or twist ties as you progress.
To finish, tuck the end of your lashing behind one weaver on the inside of your basket. Bend the end upward and tuck under one weaver. Trim the excess lashing. Gently shape the basket if needed.
Enjoy your Candy Cane Basket!
It's easy to Order....Order Online
Call us TOLL FREE at 1-800-447-7008 Monday through Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:30 P.M. Central Time. We will be happy to take your order.
We accept American Express, Master Card, Visa and Discover
Remember...32 years of customer satisfaction and your satisfaction IS 100% GUARANTEED.